Stay up-to-date with all of the life science events taking place in Vancouver with the Science in the City events calendar! From academia to industry and biotech to pharma, our events calendar is your complete source for life science conferences, symposiums, networking, and workshops in Vancouver. We even cover science pub nights and science fundraisers!
If you’re interested in promoting your life science event on the Science in the City events calendar, please use our event submission form.
- This event has passed.
Foundations of Project Management
October 6 - 7, 2020
*This session is being offered in collaboration with Mitacs Training. Mitacs Training provides professional development training to advanced degree graduates, supplementing their education and research experience with the tools necessary to succeed in today’s workforce.
This 2-day workshop provides an experiential, collaborative learning experience to enable participants to integrate the principles of project management, team building, group dynamics and leadership that participants can apply immediately and in their future careers and lives. Participants experience the processes of collaborative planning and management and can see the benefits firsthand.
Through participating and completing this workshop, participants will:
- Gain a clear understanding of foundational project management principles
- Have an emphasized understanding of the importance of team and team dynamics within the context of project management and meeting project deadlines
KEY TOPICS AREAS
Principles of project management and team building:
- Forming new teams and learning from team members past experience
- Understanding self and others using the Strength Deployment Inventory, a self-scoring questionnaire that identifies, motivations, personal strengths in relating, causes of stress or conflict and each individual’s typical response to conflict
- Personal styles of learning and problem-solving
- Creating a team agreement on practices and processes that will enhance their work together
- Techniques and tools to increase team effectiveness at decision making
- Planning and conducting effective project meetings
- Role of the leader in decision making
- Modifying leadership behavior to meet the needs of the situation
Project planning concepts
- Developing and building effective project teams
- Project planning and scheduling: basics of the critical path method (CPM), work breakdown, time calculations, and shortening the project
- Collaborative techniques and processes for planning and scheduling projects, establishing positive project practices and procedures, and the monitoring and reporting of progress
- Risk assessment on the projects planned
Review and discussion of learning
- Providing constructive criticism for positive results
Registration opens on Tuesday, September 8th at 9:00am.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from UBC are eligible to participate. Priority will be given to VCHRI graduate students registered in the current academic session. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email. Additional details will be confirmed via email the week prior to the event.
No-shows are costly for our program and, most importantly, leave students on the waiting list. Please cancel at least 2 business days in advance by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org to allow us to fill your spot from the waiting list.