Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences (CHÉOS) & CIHR Canadian HIV Trials Network (CTN)
Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences (CHÉOS) & CIHR Canadian HIV Trials Network (CTN) at the Providence Health Care Research Institute (PHCRI)
St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, BC
Salary commensurate with experience
Desired Start Date:
As soon as possible
1 year, renewable
Possibility of Extension:
Application Closing Date:
Open until filled
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should email their resume with cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is responsible for supporting the IMIS functions of CHÉOS/CTN and works closely with Centre/Network staff including physicians, epidemiologists, research nurses, research coordinators and assistants, data managers, biostatisticians, graduate students and fellows.
Located at St. Paul’s Hospital, CHÉOS is an interdisciplinary collective founded to pursue excellence in health outcomes research. In addition to conducting its own research, the Centre’s other primary function is to offer methodological expertise to other researchers, including assistance with study design, statistics, health economics, data management, and grant facilitation for both health outcomes research and clinical trials. The Centre consists of 55-60 faculty members and 130-150 staff and research personnel.
The CTN is an innovative partnership of clinical investigators, physicians, nurses, people living with HIV/AIDS, pharmaceutical manufacturers and others that facilitate HIV clinical trials of the highest scientific and ethical standards. Established in 1990 as a cornerstone of the federal AIDS Strategy, the CTN is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and jointly sponsored by the University of British Columbia (UBC) and St. Paul’s Hospital (Providence Health Care) in Vancouver.
Working within a dynamic team of programmers and analysts, the Application Developer/Analyst supports the IMIS functions of CHÉOS and the CTN, which include the following:
· Performing requirement reviews, proposing solutions and providing time estimates
· Developing prototypes as well as the final product based on agreed designs with the IMIS team
· Performing Unit Testing and supporting System Integration Testing
· Supporting User Acceptance Testing and seeing through production cutover
· Providing support for any post-implementation issues from the cutover
· Producing project documentation and ensuring proper project handover and closure
· Assisting the support team with producing user guides and other training materials
· Working closely with Data Managers to address all data management requirements
· Other related duties as may be required
This position reports to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for technical expertise, and to the Data Management Operations Lead for day-to-day supervision and timeline/project management.
This position currently does not include supervision of other staff, however, it may include supervision of interns or other technical staff who are co-supervised by the CIO.
Consequence of Error/Judgement:
The Application Developer/Analyst works independently with general direction on methods and procedures. Poorly designed, developed, or tested applications could damage organizational reputation, have a detrimental impact on functionality, result in lost productivity and/or a loss of grant funding and fee-for-service revenue. Inadequate security of the applications could result in unauthorized access or inability to access critical data for CHÉOS, CTN, and its affiliates. The incumbent is required to conduct all activities in accordance with institutional policies and procedures, including research ethics, data privacy, and confidentiality.
The incumbent will be provided adequate work space at St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver.
The incumbent must have a Diploma or Degree in the field of computer science, information systems, software engineering or a related discipline, as well as the following qualifications:
· 3+ years’ experience in developing and maintaining business applications
· Strong programming fundamentals and good programming practices
· In-depth knowledge of relational database design and management
· 2+ years’ experience working with Oracle database and exposure to other database technologies
· Highly proficient in SQL and PL/SQL
· 1+ years working experience with Oracle development tools – Forms, Reports, ADF or Apex
· Hands-on experience with Unix/Linux, including navigation, use of the vi editor and shell scripting
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and deliver high quality results
· Ability to adapt quickly and work well in a fast paced and diverse team environment
The following qualifications are preferred but not necessary:
· Experience in health care or health-related industries
· Experience with clinical trials management systems (InForm, RedCap, OpenClinica, BioClinica)
· Experience with SharePoint platform infrastructure and/or administration
· Exposure to QA processes and procedures
· Familiarity with all phases of the project development cycle
· Experience with Subversion or other version control software
· Working experience in web programming
Please note, candidates selected for an interview may be asked to complete a technical review.
CHÉOS and the CTN hire on the basis of merit and are committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. CHÉOS/CTN are strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Only candidates shortlisted will be contacted.