Analytical Chemistry Technician
Website Renaissance BioScience Corp.
Global, industry leading yeast technology Company.
Career Opportunity: Analytical Chemistry Technician
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a fast-paced, innovative, and solution-based life sciences company. We research and develop a variety of yeast-based platform technologies to meet the needs of the global food, beverage, feed/nutrition and pharmaceutical industries.
To help build our leading team, we aim to hire smart people who are self-starters and results driven. If you are a team player looking for an opportunity to grow your career in a fast-paced life sciences company, consider applying for the opportunity below today.
Do you want to be part of a team that innovates for beer, wine, and food? Are you someone who likes to work in a fast-paced environment, thrives on multitasking and enjoys helping others?
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is looking for an organized and detail orientated Analytical Chemistry Technician with a passion for analytical instrumentation to join our growing R&D team. This position is full-time and will be based out of our R&D laboratory, located on the main University of British Columbia campus in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Analytical Chemist, the Analytical Chemistry Technician will work with our R&D team to analyze a variety of different food and beverage samples across a wide range of procedures using state of the art equipment. This is an excellent opportunity to perfect your research techniques while providing exposure to a variety of analytical methods and sample types.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts analytical chemistry focused experiments including:Wet chemistry analysis using titration, enzymatic assays, pH measurements, etc.
- Preparation of various food and beverage samples for chemical analysis
- Supervised operation and maintenance of HPLC, UPLC, and GC systems
- Supervised method development for quantitation of chemical parameters in food, beverage, and yeast samples
- Conducts research experiments, as necessary and within limits of expertise, in other disciplines such as biochemistry and microbiology.
- Uses professional concepts, scientific and otherwise, in accordance with Company policies, procedures, and goals to complete scientific experiments.
- Applies the scientific method to problem solving, including maintaining a command of the current relevant scientific literature.
- Troubleshoots experiments independently and with the aid of supervisors, where required
- Critically evaluates validity and utility of experiments to help refine experimental objectives and workflows.
- Records, compiles and critically analyzes research results/data.
- Assists with laboratory waste disposal and lab safety-related duties.
- Prepares reports and presents to senior personnel, as requested.
- Designs and develops experiments and SOP protocols, with the assistance of supervisors.
- Participates in regular laboratory meetings, and periodically presents recent results/data.
- Develops new assays and experimental techniques based on literature research, with the assistance of supervisors.
- Contributes as a team member to all areas of our business.
- Updates senior scientific staff on progress to assist in the achievement of research goals and completion of projects.
- Additional duties, as required.
Education & Experience Required
- BSc in analytical chemistry, chemistry, or related fields + 2 years industry experience.
- Knowledge of proximate analysis of food matrix, liquid and gas chromatography, general principles in microbiology, yeast biology and related experimental techniques. Hands-on experience with proximate analysis and chromatography preferred.
- Knowledge of scientific principles and concepts related to the role.
- Knowledge of industrial yeast production and commercialization of yeast IP technologies is an asset.
- Technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought. Works independently to execute SOPs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English; clearly express ideas in written and oral communications. Regularly updates supervisor.
- Ability to evaluate and validate existing and novel experiments and assays through literature research and assay development.
- Ability to critically analyze and present data with attention to detail, including relevant statistics and controls.
- Ability to exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Problem-solving attitude; including troubleshooting experimental protocols to develop new and/or optimize existing protocols.
- Ability to troubleshoot experiments; analyze results/data from such experiments to develop logical next steps to move project forward.
- Ability to prioritize workload and allocate time/resources accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to follow policies, SOPs, GLP and instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to take detailed notes and maintain excellent records of experiment data in an organized matter (written and electronic).
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude.
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial, growing, and changing work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to stay on budget for assigned work.
- Must be legally able to work in Canada.
This is a full-time role. General workdays are Monday to Friday, with the requirement for flexibility to work weekends (for scientific experiments), when needed.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Analytical Chemistry Technician in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.
About Renaissance BioScience Corp.
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global, industry leading yeast technology company based in Vancouver, Canada. Renaissance develops yeast-based platform technologies to solve industrial efficiency and consumer health problems in the food, beverage, alcohol, biofuel and pharmaceutical industries. The wholly owned commercial subsidiaries of Renaissance BioScience Corp. include Renaissance Yeast Inc., which commercializes H2S-preventing wine yeast; Renaissance Ingredients Inc., which commercializes acrylamide-reducing baker’s yeast; and Bright Brewers Yeast Inc., which commercializes beer yeast technologies. Detailed information about the Renaissance group of companies can be accessed at renaissancebioscience.com.